The Trinity Churchyard burial ground, located at 74 Trinity Place in lower Manhattan, has been the resting spot for many historic figures since 1697, when the church was established. It is listed in the United States National Register of Historic Places and is the only remaining active cemetery in New York City. Alexander Hamilton and Robert Fulton are buried here.
Alexander Hamilton’s grave can be found at the southern portion of the cemetery, in Division 12, 1804. A prominent Federalist leader recognized for his contributions to the American political system, Hamilton served as a delegate to the Continental Congress in 1782 and as Secretary of the Treasury under George Washington. During a duel with political rival Aaron Burr on July 12, 1804, Hamilton was mortally wounded and later buried in the Trinity Churchyard.
Robert Fulton, an American inventor, engineer and painter most famous for designing his first American steamboat, the Clermont, was buried in Trinity Churchyard after his death in 1815. Fulton’s Clermont led to the first commercial steamboat service in the world after its thirty-two-hour trip from New York City’s Hudson River harbor to Albany on August 17, 1807. A monument of Robert Fulton is located on the south side of the churchyard in Division 7, however his remains are contained in a vault halfway down the back path.
In 1842, the church, running out of space in its churchyard, established Trinity Church Cemetery and Mausoleum in Upper Manhattan between Broadway and Riverside Drive, at the Chapel of the Intercession (now The Church of the Intercession, New York), formerly the location of John James Audubon’s estate. A third burial place is the Churchyard of St. Paul’s Chapel.
Here’s a short video walking tour of Trinity Church and the churchyard burial ground and St. Paul’s Chapel from About: